- Sector: Product Development
- Expiry Date: 12 August 2021
- Job Ref: J3564
Ruby on Rails Squad Lead
Join the Access Family and see how we make software ideas become a reality!
Our core value of ‘Love work, Love life’ has been central to our success and so we’re looking for people to join us who share our passion for making things better every day, to help us achieve 2 million users of the Access Workspace platform.
Are you ready for the challenge? What are we all about?
At Access we love software and how technology never stays the same. It's this obsession that drives us to work closely across sectors to understand the business needs of our customers - from professional services to manufacturing to not for profits and more.
We're passionate about helping our customers stay one step ahead of the challenges facing their industry and business. That's why over 1 million users and over 35,000 organizations rely on Access software to help them thrive.
We have a vacancy for a Development Squad Lead to join us on a full-time basis. The role will be hands on working with a team of experienced Ruby on Rails developers.
This role would be ideally suited to someone who likes working with Ruby on Rails and is keen to work as part of a truly global team on a range of different projects.
You'll work closely with a variety of people in the business to arrive at the best solution.
This position offers opportunities to learn new skills and further develop your existing skill set. Including, if desired, a chance to work with other technologies and programming languages such as Typescript, Go, microservices, and serverless applications.
- You are a skilled and enthusiastic Ruby on Rails Developer, who wants to take leadership of an engineering team working on a variety of products and technologies using a range of frameworks, modern techniques, patterns, and practises.
- You have the desire to lead a team of engineers to build user experiences that never cease to amaze your users!
- You want to lead a team, ensuring continual training and growth of the team as engineers. Continual training, upskilling, and growth are as important as prior experience.
- Will use modern techniques to build accessible, scalable and evolvable APIs that are robust and stand the test of time.
- Will take pride in your work and the work of your team, to ensure that we delight users with our software and make their lives easier every day.
- Will demonstrate the ability to co-ordinate and plan Dev sprint/release activities, prioritising according to risk and changes in delivery schedule.
- Will display ownership, responsibility and good decision-making, and will be able to coach and co-ordinate team-mates to achieve project deliverables.
- Will have a good understanding of software industry development standards, applying them appropriately to the scenario at hand.
- Will have the ability to manage and fully automate deployments or products and their dependencies across multiple physical and logical environments.
- Will have a good understanding of source code management best practice (using Git), and ability to troubleshoot issues.
- Will have the ability and motivation to test your own work and that of others to ensure we maintain our high-quality standards.
- On a day-to-day basis, you’ll be involved with the following:
- Lead an agile (Scrum) team, collaborating with product owners, other squad leads, and development manager, delivering high quality software focussed on delivering team results.
- Support and mentor team members in their duties, training, and personal growth
- Setting and reviewing goals for team members
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and direction to members of the development team
- Write elegant, efficient, and tested code that is easy to maintain and debug
- Develop new components and web applications
- Debug, troubleshoot & maintain existing web applications and strive to make them better
- Identifying performance issues and bugs, and providing solutions to these problems
- Participating in code reviews and sprint ceremonies
- Actively contribute to requirements discussions and requirements analysis, and take responsibility for understanding scope, risk and complexity of changes from inception through to delivery.
- Champion a quality focussed approach including: good planning; branching, environment and codebase management; promoting/participating in early discovery of defects; code reviews; unit, component, and integration testing practices;
Ideally, we’re looking for someone with the following:
- 5yrs+ Ruby on Rails development experience
- Experience writing unit and integration tests, experience with TDD and BDD
- Experience with SQL (Preferably PostgreSQL)
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Comfortable working on existing codebases
- Comfortable working across multiple projects and able to switch between them as required
- Comfortable working with cloud hosted infrastructure in a devops environment
- Experience working with AWS infrastructure
- Previous team leadership experience preferred
What does Access offer you?
We are a growing software company, and we deliver on what we say we do! We take the development of our people very seriously! We will work with you to carve out your success plan and an opportunity to accelerate your career and make a real difference.
- Working full remote
- Competitive salary
- Great Holliday Package ( starting form 25 )
- Private Healthcare & Life Insurance
- 7 Card Sport Allowance
- Referral Bonus
- Christmas Bonus