- Sector: Hosting & Infrastructure
- Expiry Date: 17 December 2022
- Job Ref: J7967
Head of Data Engineering
Join the Access Family and see how we make software ideas become a reality!
Our core value of ‘Love Work, Love Life, Be You’ has been central to our success and so we’re looking for people to join us who share our passion for making things better every day and help us continue to grow.
We are the number one UK headquartered software provider in the UK and are forecasted to grow to a global population of over 12,000 employees by 2026.
What are we all about?
At Access, we love software and how technology never stays the same. It's this obsession that drives us to work closely across sectors to understand the business needs of our customers - from the Hospitality sector, to Manufacturing industry, to Not for Profit’s to Construction, and many more.
We're passionate about helping our customers stay one step ahead of the challenges facing their industry and business, currently helping over 60,000 customers to have the freedom to do more.
- You are an experienced leader with a track record of delivering successful outcomes from the Data Engineering functions you have led.
- You are a strategic thinker. You are highly attuned to the wider objectives of your organisation, and position yourself and your team to make key contributions towards meeting them.
- You have a strong grasp of the technicals of Data Engineering, perhaps having been a Data Engineer (or similar) yourself in the past, and from that have an appreciation of the real-world challenges that Data Engineers will encounter, and how to overcome them.
- You relish the challenge of building an ultra-modern Cloud-first Group Data Platform in a highly dynamic setting, working with the best people in the field.
- You are a pragmatic problem-solver with a bias to action and an appetite for getting things done.
- You are passionate about data and the ever-evolving technology that is used to leverage it.
- You straddle “big picture thinking” and also navigating the short-term bumps in the road.
- You manage well both downwards and upwards, forming great relationships.
- You care deeply about your people, and do right by them.
Day-to-day, you will:
- Assemble, line manage, and develop a world-class team of Data Engineers, ranging in seniority from graduates to seasoned technical leads.
- Motivate and stretch individuals who are already highly accomplished, forming bespoke development plans to match the varied strengths, development areas, and ambitions that your team members respectively have.
- Effectively control the book of work for your team – ensuring that this is optimised by staying close to the objectives of the organisation, being transparent about prioritisation criteria, and highlighting where Data Engineering can make additional contributions to meeting goals.
- Oversee project delivery.
- Empower your team to invest time in being excellent – in particular, to carve out time for learning, experimentation, and following good process.
- Instil a culture of knowledge sharing.
- Interface well with your peers on the Data Solutions leadership team; working in a joined-up manner where projects call for a cross-disciplinary approach.
- Spent time with your stakeholders, forming great relationships with them and becoming a trusted partner.
- Be highly-visible in the senior leadership community at Access, ensuring that this group as a whole is getting the maximal service from your team.
- Oversee data products in the Group Data Platform to ensure product owners communicate when changes are coming down the line, and feed back to source system teams when data quality isn’t up to scratch.
Your skills and experiences might also include:
- Experience working with Cloud-first environments.
- Experience working with contemporary data warehousing technologies like Databricks, Snowflake, etc.
What does Access offer you?
We are a growing software company, and we deliver on what we say we do! We take the development of our people very seriously and we will work with you to carve out your success plan and an opportunity to accelerate your career and make a real difference.
On top of a competitive salary, our standard 25 days holiday (which goes up the longer you’re with us), and a matched pension scheme you’ll also be able to choose from a range of benefits to suit you. We pride ourselves on being an organisation that gives back so you’ll also have a charity day you can take to support something that matters to you.
At Access we’re all about helping everyone Love Work and Love Life. Why? Because we believe people can only be their best when they can be themselves. So, if you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t match perfectly, we’d still love to hear from you. You might just be who we are looking for.
We love the fact that we’re all different. We believe by having more diverse perspectives at work improves how we run our business, helps us to better support our customers, and when you think about it, it’s just more fun!
What’s holding you back? Come and be part of our Amazing Access Family!
Love Work. Love Life. Be You.