- Sector: Product & Engineering
- Expiry Date: 05 January 2024
- Job Ref: J8698
Are you ready for the challenge?
What are we all about?
At Access we love software and how technology never stays the same. It's this obsession that drives us to work closely across sectors to understand the business needs of our customers - from professional services to manufacturing to not for profits and more.
We're passionate about helping our customers stay one step ahead of the challenges facing their industry and business. That's why over 1 million users and over 10,000 organisations rely on Access software to help their organisation thrive.
Engineering Team Lead
We are looking for an Engineering Team Lead to work on components and services within our Workspace Platform.
This is a challenging role in an exciting fast paced company with lots of opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects.
You will work directly with our Product, UX and Engineering teams, distributed across the UK and Europe, implementing user-facing components, services and features on the Access Workspace platform.
Leading one of our development squads, you will have a big impact on our SaaS solutions across the group, through building new services and interfaces, and maintaining existing ones, and helping to drive a consistent user experience across Workspace. You will lead the team, taking ownership of people, project and technical aspects of delivery.
The ideal candidate will be working within a similar position currently and have sound, demonstrable commercial experience of working on SaaS products.
- You are an accomplished Full Stack Engineer with some leadership experience, and a background of building high quality software, ideally in a SaaS business.
- You are proficient with Microsoft technologies and have a strong understanding of cloud technology, preferably Azure.
- You enjoy the challenge of maturing teams towards self-management. You are keen to apply your expertise in technical solutions and enable your team to get valuable work to ‘done’.
- You coach the team to use modern techniques, patterns and practises to build accessible, scalable and evolvable software that is robust and stands the test of time. APIs must maintain appropriate backwards compatibility through agreeing and managing contracts, and will often be consumed by 3rd parties.
- You take pride in your work and the work of your team, to ensure that we delight users with our software and make their lives easier every day.
- You demonstrate the ability to co-ordinate and plan engineering sprint/release activities, prioritising according to risk and changes in delivery schedule.
- You work closely with your peers to ensure cross-team and cross-division activities are performed cohesively and efficiently, delivering the desired results for the business.
- You display ownership, responsibility and good decision-making, and will be able to coach and co-ordinate team-mates to achieve deliverables.
- You have a good understanding of software industry engineering standards, applying them appropriately to the scenario at hand.
- You can manage and fully automate deployments or products and their dependencies across multiple physical and logical environments.
- You have a good understanding of source code management best practice (using Git), and ability to troubleshoot issues.
- You test your own work and instil a quality first mentality in your team to ensure we maintain our high standards.
- You are commercially aware, and can work closely with the product team and stakeholders to ensure that everything we do is commercially appropriate
Day-to-day, you will:
- Contribute to the strategic development of the Access Workspace Platform through your leadership of an Agile team, whilst working collaboratively with your peers to ensure a ‘joined up approach’ is consistently taken.
- Lead by hands-on example, driving both technical excellence and high individual/team performance throughout the development process.
- Provide technical leadership, guidance and direction to the team, whilst ultimately taking accountability for their deliverables.
- Ensure software is designed and built to a high standard, according to the team’s Definition of Done. Inspect and adapt that Definition of Done with your team.
- Take responsibility for assessing the risk of development tasks, taking into account technical and commercial factors, and make risk-based recommendations and decisions.
- Help ensure all engineers within the team understand the scope, risk and complexity of changes by challenging and providing feedback to the stories and acceptance criteria.
- Champion technical debt and its priority within the roadmap. Work with product representatives to ensure technical requirements are well understood, and expressed in business value terms.
- Design and develop software solutions to agreed requirements using front-end and back-end technologies.
- Adhere and contribute to department coding standards and suggest improvements to them.
- Code review other engineers work, providing constructive feedback, advising on best practice & coding standards
- Drive the development of processes and improvements.
- Ensure the team creates the appropriate technical documentation where required, both for internal and external consumption.
- Report to Engineering Manager on progress and areas of risk, including metrics where requested.
- Provide motivational leadership, mentoring and coaching to the team, including on best practice and approaches, and the continuous improvement of these.
- Manage career and skills development, performance, holidays and workloads of your team.
Work in accordance with the company’s policies and procedures.
As a well-rounded Engineering Team Lead working on our SaaS Platform, your Skills and Experiences likely include:
- Technology & Tools:
- CSS pre-processors (Sass, Less, etc)
- .NET / .NET Core & ASP.NET
- Visual Studio & VS Code
- Browser DevTools
- SQL or NoSQL-based database engines
- Automated Build (CI) and Deployments
- Azure DevOps
- Git-based Source Control
- Azure DevOps boards
- Desirable Experience:
- Experience working in a SaaS software business
- Experience creating public APIs for consumption by 3rd parties
- Azure PaaS services (e.g. App Service, CosmosDB, Service Bus)
- Accessibility requirements
Front-end test automation
What does Access offer you?
- We are a growing software company and we deliver on what we say we do! We take the development of our people very seriously! We will work with you to carve out your success plan and an opportunity to accelerate your career and make a real difference.
- Healthy, friendly, and inclusive culture
- Work - life balance
- Hybrid/Remote working
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive salary package
- Great Holiday Package (starting from 25)
- Charity day – day off paid by the company for volunteering activities
- Private Healthcare & Life Insurance
- 7 Card Sport Allowance
- Meal tickets
- Referral Bonus
- Christmas Bonus
- Big Break – all-inclusive holiday paid by the company
- Other benefits