- Sector: Hosting & Infrastructure
- Expiry Date: 20 October 2023
- Job Ref: J10245
Cloud Engineer Director
Join the Access Family and see how we make software ideas become a reality!
Our core value of ‘Love Work, Love Life, Be You’ has been central to our success and so we’re looking for people to join us who share our passion for making things better every day and help us continue to grow.
We are the number one UK headquartered software provider in the UK and are forecasted to grow to a global population of over 12,000 employees by 2026.
What are we all about?
At Access, we love software and how technology never stays the same. It's this obsession that drives us to work closely across sectors to understand the business needs of our customers - from the Hospitality sector, to Manufacturing industry, to Not for Profit’s to Construction, and many more.
We're passionate about helping our customers stay one step ahead of the challenges facing their industry and business, currently helping over 60,000 customers to have the freedom to do more.
The EMEA Cloud Engineering Director will be responsible for the global platform in tandem with their APAC Counterpart, while partnering with the regional boards to drive strategic and commercial direction.
Cloud Engineering is a division within Access and provides hosting infrastructure for the group’s software products. In addition, it also sells IaaS and MSP services and generates c. £40M of revenue from these activities alone. The division is highly technology focused and currently employs 220+ engineers that support an estate that spans 14 global datacenters, 8,000 virtual machines, and 15 petabytes of data. Services levels are critical as these systems underpin group revenues of £800M and services delivered into Health and Social Care, Legal and HR & Payroll, among others.
Day-to-day, you will:
- Reporting to the Senior Director for Cloud Engineering, this individual is the regional leader and part of the global management team for Cloud Engineering. They will ensure a collaborative and partnership approach to drive success to the region and global operations. Access will scale to be a £2Bn software vendor in the next 5 years which will equate to more than 5x in compute and storage so need expert hosting to match that, along with the creativity and commercial awareness to make sure the hosted systems are on the right platforms at the right cost.
- Access maintain all different types, scales and ages of technology up to hyperscalers presence in AWS & Azure and down to VMWare in physical datacentres. The role will be charged with defining, evangelising and executing Access Cloud Strategy both regionally and across the global function.
- Operate as part of the Cloud Engineering organisation and enable migration and enablement towards a DevOps org structure. Create a seamless conduit for Engineers to deploy their software within an innovative environment.
- Present to the C-Level and Board on ROI and strategic planning as Access scale out its cloud capabilities, while being a strategic partner to the regional boards to deliver their vision and ensure commercial focus on cost of sale and hosting is maintained and optimised.
- Full accountability for the divisional P&L including operations, architecture, services delivery and automation teams.
- Cloud + Data Centre Infrastructure Management: Manage the design, deployment, and maintenance of cloud + local data centre infrastructure, ensuring scalability, reliability, and security of services.
- Performance Monitoring and Optimization: Monitor the performance of systems and applications, proactively identifying and resolving bottlenecks and performance issues.
- Cost Optimization: Develop cost management strategies to optimize cloud resource utilisation, identify cost-saving opportunities, and monitor cloud spending to align with budgets.
- Security and Compliance: Ensure the implementation and maintenance of robust security measures, data protection, and compliance with industry standards and regulations.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity: Develop and oversee disaster recovery and business continuity plans for cloud services to ensure data integrity and service continuity during unforeseen events.
- Incident and Problem Management: Lead incident response and problem-solving efforts for cloud + data centre related issues, coordinating with technical teams and stakeholders to ensure timely resolutions.
- Capacity Planning: Forecast future capacity requirements, scaling cloud resources as needed to meet business demands and ensure optimal performance.
- DevOps Integration: Collaborate with Product & Engineering and operations teams to integrate DevOps practices, automate deployment processes, and implement continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipelines.
- Team Leadership and Development: Provide leadership and guidance to the cloud engineering operations team, fostering a culture of excellence, learning, and innovation. Ensure team members are adequately trained to support the technologies deployed in APAC and globally. Conduct performance evaluations, mentor team members, and facilitate professional growth.
- Cloud Governance: Establish and enforce cloud governance policies, standards, and best practices across the organization to maintain consistency and compliance.
- Reporting and Analytics: Develop and present regular reports on cloud infrastructure performance, operational metrics, and cost analysis to senior management.
- Stakeholder Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including internal IT, product & engineering, and business units, to understand their cloud + infrastructure requirements and align cloud operations with organizational goals.
Your skills and experiences might also include:
- Experience leading a sophisticated technology organisation within a global environment. Knowledge of Software / SaaS as well as infrastructure.
- Technology evangelist who has deep understanding of the old ‘classic data centre Infrastructure’ and the new ‘hyperscale’ with the ability to create a vision and practical plan to move between the two.
- Preferably comes from an engineering background with a track record of managing large operational teams but also has deep understanding of P&L management and can build and communicate a 5-year strategic plan.
- Thought leader in managed hosting and cloud services with the ability to drive change to create new organisational capabilities.
- Experience in developing products and services within the IaaS/MSP and ‘go to market’ strategies.
- Demonstrable ability to see outside of the box and maintain a big picture view at all times.
- Exposure to acquiring businesses, performing due diligence and technical M&A integration is a plus.
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to influence at all levels including experience of working at Board or Investor level.
- Ability to pivot between strategic thinking and operational delivery. Combination of vision (thinking strategically) and ability to deliver through tactical execution.
- Collaborative methodology
- Ability to defuse tense situations and put customer view point forwards
- Results driven – accountable, able to balance strategic thinking with attention to detail and operational end-to-end delivery, problem solving, prepared to go over & above when required.
- Have the ability to measure your success through the use of key performance indicators and scorecards.
- Excellent communication skills. You are a confident, clear, and warm communicator with a flexible and constructive approach to customers, cross-functional teams, and executive leadership.
- Leading and developing a team, to create a compelling long-term vision, strategy, and detailed roadmap.
- Must be able to attract top talent, build apprenticeship programmes and develop strong career development pathways for top talent.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
What does Access offer you?
We are a growing software company, and we deliver on what we say we do! We take the development of our people very seriously and we will work with you to carve out your success plan and an opportunity to accelerate your career and make a real difference.
On top of a competitive salary, our standard 25 days holiday (which goes up the longer you’re with us), and a matched pension scheme you’ll also be able to choose from a range of benefits to suit you. We pride ourselves on being an organisation that gives back so you’ll also have a charity day you can take to support something that matters to you.
At Access we’re all about helping everyone Love Work and Love Life. Why? Because we believe people can only be their best when they can be themselves. So, if you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t match perfectly, we’d still love to hear from you. You might just be whom we are looking for.
We love the fact that we’re all different. We believe by having more diverse perspectives at work improves how we run our business, helps us to better support our customers, and when you think about it, it’s just more fun!
What’s holding you back? Come and be part of our Amazing Access Family!
Love Work. Love Life. Be You.